You’ve tackled all the tough challenges and branded every communications initiative both inside and out: Employer branding, branded intranets, training portals, microsites, social network marketing, branded internal and benefit communications- you even have a smart-phone friendly career site.
And now, this summer, just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water (ocean, pool, lake or other), I propose the super-branding challenger round –
HR Branding: The brand that is You and Your Department.
Here’s why it requires expert strokes—
- You will be swimming in strong currents- serving the needs of 2 masters, as employer and employee advocate.
- Due diligence in brand crafting means creating dialogues- you will need to be open to honest feedback from executives, employees, line managers and other fish, both big and small.
- Sustaining an authentic HR brand for the long haul might require making significant operational changes that pull you outside the safe waters
- Synchronization- make no mistake- this is a total team effort
If you’re still up for it, dive in.
Creating an Internal HR Brand
1. Lay the Groundwork
- Define objectives, communications channels and audience needs
2. Ask (or have us ask) The Questions
- Who is HR?
- What Should Employees “Feel” when they “See” HR?
- What Should Candidates “Feel” when they “See” HR?
- How Can HR Best Support Their Goals?
3. Point to an End Goal
- A brand is a promise- what’s yours? Whether you create an HR mission, vision or charter, you must embody that promise to each person within your organization
4. Engage Employees
- The more they become a part of the process, the greater their commitment to your efforts
Review step 1- what were you looking to accomplish?
Perhaps you want to create a unifying purpose to your HR team at large- have them thinking felling and acting as a brand. Or maybe instill a greater understanding within employees and executives of the important work you do.
Through the application of the same methodology employed by marketing professionals, your Human Resources Department will become the Brand of Choice for talented employees and potential employees looking to become a big fish within your organization